Football season is here! Whether you follow high school, college, or professional ball, you’ll always want to score a touchdown with your dental health. Think of gum disease and tooth decay as your opponent. Tackle them before they reach your goal line!
Follow these tips to win the dental health game every day:
- The two minute warning: Brush twice a day for two minutes each time. Use an appropriate toothbrush for your mouth, with bristles small enough to get to the hard-to-reach back teeth and between your teeth.
- The point after: Floss regularly, especially after eating. Use a string of floss that is at least 18 inches long, moving it along so that a clean piece of floss covers every few teeth. Slide the floss along one side of a tooth until you reach the gum then slide it up the side of the next tooth, in a “c” motion.
- Field goal: Look for a toothpaste that has the American Dental Association (ADA) seal of approval. There are so many varieties of toothpaste available on store shelves, it may feel like you’re searching through a field of options. Choose a flavor and a texture that you like so you’ll use it regularly!
- Keep your equipment clean: Rinse your toothbrush thoroughly and let it air dry between brushings. Get a new toothbrush every three to four months, as bristles tend to wear down after several months of use.
- Check with the coach: See your dentist regularly for a professional cleaning and a checkup. Your dentist and dental hygienist can help make sure you are scoring all the points you can, staying safe instead of getting caught by a safety! The dental staff will check for potential issues and work with you to defend against them before they become big problems.
Let’s have a great football season – and enjoy great dental health throughout the year!