Who knew that brushing your teeth could be so complicated? Actually, it can be quite simple, if you know how to do it. At Johns Dentistry, we encourage all of our patients to brush thoroughly twice a day. Keeping your mouth clean and healthy can help prevent a lot of problems related to your teeth and gums. Here are some simple tips to make sure it’s done properly:
- Choose the correct toothbrush. A soft-bristled toothbrush with a small head will help you reach those challenging back teeth and will help you remove all of the plaque and particles from all of your teeth.
- Brush long enough. Most adults brush their teeth too quickly to be truly effective. The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends brushing for at least two full minutes each time. Think you brush that long now? Time yourself. You might be surprised!
- Get every part of every tooth. When brushing, focus on cleaning the outside, inside, and the tops of every tooth. This is where the small headed toothbrush might help. Angle the toothbrush at about 45 degrees, to be able to get all of the surfaces sufficiently.
- Brush gently. Harsh brushing, particularly if you are using a hard-bristled toothbrush, can actually damage the enamel on the surface of your teeth.
- Brush your tongue. To keep your entire mouth clean and to promote fresher breath, take a few seconds to brush the surface of your tongue!
- Change your toothbrush every few months. You may love your toothbrush, but it won’t last forever! About every 3 months, or sooner if your toothbrush is starting to show signs of wear, toss it and get a new one.
Remember the 2×2 rule, as promoted by the ADA. Spend two minutes brushing your teeth each time, twice a day. And, be sure to come in for your regular dental cleaning, to get that mouth extra healthy and happy!