The new year is here and with it comes lots of determination to live a healthier life. We often make lists of things we will do starting in January, such as eating better and getting more exercise. These are all terrific ways to start the new year, but don’t forget how important it is to have healthy teeth also!
To help you get started on your list of New Year’s resolutions, here are some great decisions you can make that will carry you through the whole year and give you a healthy mouth to go with that healthy body!
- Learn the correct way to brush your teeth. Sure you brush your teeth regularly, but are you brushing properly? Most people just don’t brush long enough. You should brush for a full two minutes twice a day. Remember 2×2!
- Make healthier food choices. This one may already be on your list of resolutions. Did you know that healthy eating can give you a healthier mouth also? Fresh, crunchy fruits and vegetables as well as dairy products are great for your teeth and your body. Limit sugary snacks and instead choose a carrot or a piece of cheese!
- Chew sugarless gum. Chewing gum after a meal can actually help prevent tooth decay. Just be sure it’s sugarless!
- Give up those tobacco products. Yes, every year you say you will give up smoking. Did you know that tobacco products can do a lot of damage to teeth and gums, including causing gum disease and oral cancer? Stick to this resolution for a healthier mouth and a healthier body!
- Visit the dentist regularly. Come see us! We want you to visit at least every six months so we can check out your teeth and gums. When you visit your dentist regularly, we can catch any small problems before they become bigger, more painful, and more expensive to treat. We can also help you keep that mouth healthy throughout the year!
Our team of dental experts at Johns Dentistry wishes you the very happiest and healthiest New Year!