The kids are out of school, the weather is beautiful, and hopefully you’re hitting the road with your family on the vacation of your dreams. But as we all know, bacteria do not take vacations. Tooth decay does not have the summer off. And gingivitis does not give a hoot about the weather. So take a look at these Travel Tips for Healthy Mouths and remember that great dental habits are important while on vacation, too!
- Save contact info for your family’s dentistry in your phone. If you have a dental emergency while away, just a phone call to the provider you trust can set your mind at ease and provide you with the information you need to make the best decision at the time.
- Drink plenty of water. Water helps clean the mouth and help prevent bacteria growth. Stick with fruits and non-sticky candy like chocolate for sweetness – leave the soda behind.
- Mind the water you brush with. If you’re traveling somewhere exotic, check with the CDC to make sure tap water is safe to drink. If it’s not, brush using bottled or filtered water for best oral health.
- Pack travel-size floss, toothpaste and mouthwash. Keep your mouth feeling fresh and clean even if travel delays, traffic or late luggage arises by packing travel size dental essentials in a readily accessible place.
- Pack nature’s teeth-cleaning snacks. Apples, celery and carrot sticks can all help clean teeth and stimulate saliva between meals. Plus, these healthy snacks will keep you fueled for getting the most out of vacation!